Saturday, July 12, 2008

4th of July 08






I love our town of Wasilla, they have the biggest heart when it comes to anything Military, we have so much patriotism in this town. I will share some of the pictures I took of the parade and tell you about what Wasilla did for the 4th of July. We went down to the mall parking lot where I work around 7 am so we could make sure we had a really good spot for everyone, we took the RV so we could have a good place for potty breaks and of course we had the refrig and shady place to sit, the parade started at 11 am so you can see we were really early birds, but not having the experience of knowing what time people show up for spots we were not going to take the chance of losing out, so anyway, we get there around 7, walk over to the Sunrise family restaurant and have breakfast then go back, read the newspaper, by that time it is 8 am, time for a snooze, did not really think we would snooze but the next thing I know it is 10 am and people are starting to arrive all around us. We get our chairs out and wait for everyone else to show up, well,,,,that is another story, anyway, Sarah, Olivia, and Shannon get there in time for the parade, they have so much fun items in the parade I just wish I could show you all the pictures but it takes so much time to upload pictures here and I don't have the patience to wait, anyway, after the parade is over Zach and Jourdan finally get to the RV then they all head down to the park where they have a band playing and free hot dogs and chips, sodas, and whatever else, when they leave Cathy and Rick show up and we sit around and talk and watch the people come and go and by that time the kids return to the RV and we head home. I must say, I did enjoy the parade and our visit in the RV but the rest of the 4th sucked. We did not get together for family time or bar b cue or nothing, after we got home it was just another day, boo hoo...oh well I now know what a 4th of July is in Wasilla, for the most part it is fun but not like the family get together we had in Nevada.

As I mentioned before, Wasilla is very patriot minded. We have Veterens out on the highway every Monday waving their flags at the train station and they do this in rain, snow and sunshine, people will honk at them and they wave their flags back and salute, in August the city will put on a picnic in the park to honor the military and they will read off the names of the military personnel who are serving in Iraq and we can fill out a form to list the names and then they will give us the flag with the one star on it to hang outside our house to show we have military in our home.

I love it here but I miss my family in Nevada very much. I will sign off for now. Love and hugs to all my family who will read my blog.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

You know, I didn't get a parade or fireworks or barbecue for 4th of July either. We went to Utah and grilled chicken outside on a skillet (but it doesn't taste the same). And for fireworks we watched them over the lake in Saratoga Springs. So we saw like 20 different fireworks shows, but they were so tiny I couldn't even photograph them. And to top it all off, I couldn't even make chicken nuggets. Oh well. At least we have good memories with family.

That's neat that Wasilla is so patriotic.

Love you!

Maura said...

That is great that they are so patriotic.
I am sorry you about your day but I am sure everyone had a good time visiting in your neat RV. :)

we went to Mills Park after watching the fireworks at the church. it was me, Rebekah, Alexander and Marina...and you know this little 12 year old girl tried to pick a fight with me....all of us had a good laugh with that one. hehe. :)