Friday, April 18, 2008

memories of 1959

ok, I am through with rewriting the diaries entries and now will try to write from my tired memory of 50 years. This is what I remember of what happened after the wedding.
We did not have a car so after the reception my brother took us to the greyhound bus terminal and we caught the bus to Oceanside, we spent our first night in a rundown hotel which looked quaint from the outside but oh my gosh after we checked in it was what did we do? I think it really was a hotel that catered to the cliental that rented rooms by the hour if you know what I mean, well the next morning Delbert left for the base and I checked out of the hotel and wandered around Oceanside waiting for Delbert to come back, I left our baggage at the USO, we thought we were going to get to go on a honeymoon, where? I don't know, we did not have much money but we figured we were going to get to spend some time together, but that was not to be. When Delbert finally got off the base that afternoon and caught up with me, he said a couple said we could stay with them until we found a place to rent and that it would be good for me because he could not get leave and on top of that he was going to have to go out in the field for 30 days, what a bummer. Before he left we went and put our name on base housing, they have an area for the enlisted personnel and they were 26 foot trailors and then there was a section with the longer trailors for families and then for big families they have double wide trailors, we thought it would be a long waiting list but we were lucky and got one right away, so while Delbert was gone I moved into the trailor and set up house, it was so small that the bathroom you could go potty, shower and shave at the same time. the bed was surrounded by the 3 walls, you had to climb into the bed to make the bed but it was our first home. I will write more later.

1 comment:

Maura said...

well at least it was cozy. hehe. bummer you couldn't go on a honymoon right away! Seemed to work out well though....
and your mind might be tired but it is not old. :)

love you. Give hugs and kisses to everyone.