Wednesday, April 23, 2008

our first home

ok, in the last blog I told you about our trailer and how small it was now I will tell you about the area we lived in, it was just above the front gate to Camp Pendleton, we had a small shopette and a laundry and playground for kids, they even had an outside movie screen with bleachers, we used to get our blankets and pillows and watched the movies on Friday nights, they were free, you see we did what ever we could for free, my first allotment check was $97.00 and Delbert was paid $47.00 twice a month our trailer rental was abut $45.00 but we had all of our utilities paid and it seemed we were rolling in the dough, hahaha little did I know. All the trailers were the same color and from the back you could not tell which one was yours, believe me it could be a bit embarrasing when you opened the wrong door, hahahha....The first time we went shopping at the commissary we had a basket overfilling and I was so worried we had spent so much but after adding it all up it came to under $50.00. Now mind you, I had not cooked before, I did bake before we were married but my mother did all the cooking and I did not get to help her beside, she was not the greatest cook either, but bake, oh boy could I bake. The first time I tried to make spaghetti I got all the fixings out and guess what, I did not have tomato paste or tomato sauce, but I did have catsup and isn't catsup made out of tomato's? yep you guessed it, I used the catsup in lieu of sauce or paste, uk uk uk...please don't try it I can tell you from experience that it is not tasty. My first experience with searations was during this time, we supplemented our meals with that and we had a lot of vienna sausages wrapped in bisquik and we had lots of hamburger stews, but we survived it. There was a vegetable truck that used to come around to our place and we could buy on credit but sometimes it was hard to pay and when we were desperate we would walk about 10 rows down to another section and hope the guy would not recognize us and pay cash for what ever we needed at at that time because we just did not have enough to pay the bill and get what we needed, it never occurred to us that if we paid the bill then we could re add what ever we needed to a new bill duh,,,,,In the next posting I will write about when we were starting out our family.

2 comments:

Maura said...

ewww catsup...that's cross. haha. Oh and although I really enjoy your postings..try not to go into too much detail about starting your family. haha.

love ya...give hugs and kisses. :)

Deborah said...

I used V8 in a roast when it called for ketchup/catsup (however you want to spell it). It wasn't too bad, but I will definately take your advice and not use it for spaghetti.
You know, at the airport one time I walked into the wrong bathroom. It was one of those deals where they were right next to eachother and neither had a door. Do you know what tipped me off? The smell. As soon as I smelled something I looked up and realized that women don't use urinals. Luckily no one was in there. :) So that might be similar to walking into the wrong house, right?;)