Thursday, April 3, 2008

sometime in 1958 after July 4th

Like I said before, I will probably be jumping all around from time to time as I try to remember things. In this blog it is about starting back to school in my junior year and I will be writing some things about the way my parents first treated Delbert but I don't want anyone to get upset with them, they were just being parents and being afraid that my relationship with Delbert would really not last or work out and in that era race played a bit part. Also during this time my mother had a big problem with drinking and I ran away from home a lot and if it had not been for my brother Tom taking care of me, well that is another story and it really does not belong in this blog.



My little sister was about 3-4 years old when I started dating Delbert and everytime he would come over to the house Debbie would run up to him and throw herself in his arms and wrap herself all around him, we called her little monkey. Sometime she went on our dates with us when we went to the movies or to the zoo or out to Mission Beach where they had an amusement park. We were always going somewhere and doing something that did not cost a lot of money. One time Delbert came and picked me up on his Dad's motorcycle and we tore off, you can imagine the reaction to that date.



Well school started and all the "Chicana Chicks" did not like the idea that I was "stealing" their man and they called me out to fight, hahahah,,,,I told them I did not fight for any guy and if he wanted them he could have them, well you all know now how that turned out, I kept him hahaha, they decided to try and make a friend out of me but I knew they were just up to no good so I tried to stay clear of them for the most part. When I finally told Delbert what was going on, wow it mysteriously stop and I was never bothered by them anymore. On Saturday's at the Navy hospital in San Diego they use to have USO dances for the military guys and my mother made me go, my mother also used to invite the Sailors home for a nice home cooked dinner and served up her daughter for dessert talk about embaressing it was not a fun time but we made the best of it and after awhile she stopped making me go to the dances and trying to make me go out with other guys.



On the weekends I used to go over to Delbert's grandmother's house and she would try to teach me how to cook and sew but it never sunk in but I enjoyed going over there, they made me feel so welcomed, we called her Nana and his Grandpa was called Tata. They were the best people in the whole wide world and their door was always open to anyone.



In Sept of 1958 Delbert gave me my first corsage, I still have it saved it was on the 20th of Sept and it was white carnations. The next corsage was given to me on the 9th of November and it was a white gardina with orange carnations, I love gardinas. He was always bringing me little presents and he even wrote me a couple of poems, he knew how to make my heart go pitter patter..



I am rambling so in my next post I will go right into January 1959 and I will take some exerts from my diary leading up to the day we were married and then from there I will try to remember some things that happened when we started our family.

1 comment:

Maura said...

I love it...you were such a reble. Wait, did I say 'were'...are still. hehe.
I can just imagine you telling those girls off....and imagine what grandpa said to keep them away. hehe. It is great to hear these stories of how it was!
Love ya!