Friday, April 11, 2008

saga continues 1959

Now you all know that I ran off and got married but now I will lead up to our 2nd wedding, the one that everyone recognizes as our official Anniversary date and we have never admitted to my parents or my family about our 1st wedding even when they tried to trick us by trying to tell us they knew about it.
January 18, 1959
Dear Diary This morning I woke up in my husband's arms- I am really happy now - Delbert's mother came down and woke us up after we fell asleep again-she told us that my father was looking for me last night and she said she would go and ask my parents if they would let us get married in the church and not for Del and I to say anything to them about us being married already-so I came home today, also today is the March of Dimes parade and Del took me and tonight my new cousin-in-law treated Del and I to the movies and after the movies they went and changed to go back I waited at the bus stop for the bus with my husband.
one of the things I did not mention in the diary is what my father said to my mother-in-law so I will tell you now, he did not know I had ran away and when he questioned my mother she kept telling him I was staying with a friend but I guess he knew I ran away and he went to Virginia and asked her if she knew where I was, she told him she would check with Grandma and ask around, that is when she came and found us and he had also told her if I did not come home soon he was going to call the police, so that is why she said that she would go and talk with them and tell them that I said I would not come home unless they agreed to let us get married and that I was over at Grandma's and that Delbert would be coming down to San Diego later that day from Camp Pendleton, so now you will see why in the next postings of my diary that things sorta went on as usual.
January 19th
Dear Diary today I went to the dentist for my teeth and when I got back Mom was talking to Virginia and I was to go and get my blood test today so I went and I got a ok test then I came home and went to work I worked from 3 to 6 I made $2.25 now when I get paid I will get $15.00-my husband came home from Camp, I am pretty sure we will be getting remarried Sunday, if nothing goes wrong-tomarrow I am going to the office to tell them that I am quiting, this page is sloppy but I am very tired-I love Delbert very much
January 20th
Dear Diary, Today I didn't go to school, Mom get me up at 8:30 and we got ready and went down to the church to see if the Priest would sign a note saying that I could get married in a military wedding, he said ok then Mom went and had her signature noterized so I could get a license then Del, Mom and I went to talk to the Priest over at Coronado, we are getting married Sunday at 1:00 pm Del brought us home - then Del and and I went down to get our license but had no money so while he went to hock his gun I drove the car around the block a couple of times, first time alone, I was a little nervous at first but I liked it.
Wed January 21 st
Dear Diary Today Delbert and I rode the school bus to school and I checked out, I got all passing grades except for history oh well - when we got home Mom said "well I was in TJ today and you can hear some of the silliest things" I think she knows that we are married and is trying to slip us up - I went to the hospital today but before I went, I stopped over at Del's, I have nothing wrong with me at all - I am all better...Jim, Jennie, Tom and Mike are coming down for the wedding - I am going shopping tomorrow, Del went to Camp tonight.
Thur, Jan 22nd
Dear Diary I got up about 9:45am Mom and I went downtown and I got a new coat, 2 bras, pants, shoes, nylons, 6 pairs, a veil for the wedding. I got home about 2:20, before I got home when we were downtown after shopping, my Mother embarressed me so badly, while waiting for the bus to go home my Mother starts in on me and telling me that the only reason I wanted to get married was so I could sleep with him, she said this in front of all the people waiting for the bus, I was crying so hard, I left her there and I took a later bus. I went to work - I got paid $18.00 but I keep only $10.00 I think I will put it in with the honeymoon so we can have more money, we are going to Oceanside Sunday night and Mon at 4:30 Del gets leave, tonight Mom has argue with me until she has me all confused and her too, I wish she would quit worring about me, She keeps asking me why we didn't wait 2 or 3 weeks, I just told her we didn't want to wait but she keeps on.
January 23 rd
Dear Diary all this morning I tried to clean out my room but it still looks like hell,I went down to make an appointment at the hairdresser for tomarrow for Mom, this afternoon I went and fixed up my room over at Grandma's and then came home ate and went to the show, after awhile Delbert came, I left before him and I came home, while writing to you Mom came in drunk and she told to me and told me how she went to TJ and knows we are married and started crying "God please help her"-I hope everthing will turn out fine Sunday. Tom came down tonite and Jim and Jenny, Mike and Jeannie will be here tomorrow about 1:30 in the afternoon.
January 24th
Dear Diary Today I cleaned up the house this morning while Mom went to the hairdresser, this afternnon I went downtown and picked up my coat and went stright to church it was 3:00 but confessions weren't until 3:30. Del came to church then we went home-Mom and Mrs Slater and Kathie were here and already fixed up the table and cake is beautiful 3 layers with pink bells and love birds on it - tonight at 11 Jeannie and Jenny, Jim and Mike blew in we sat around and talked but now I am awfully tired, Jeannie is sleeping with me-I love Delbert very much..
This is it for now, the next story is of the wedding day......

No comments: