Monday, April 14, 2008

wedding Day, January 25, 1959

Today is our official wedding day, Up until 2 days ago I had long hair but I was upset and so I decided I needed to change my hair so I went into my bedroom and I took each bunch of hair and twriled it around my finger 3 times and snip,,,,there it went, I kept my hair in pincurles for 2 days because I did not want anyone to know I had cut my hair, it sure was curly.....
Today we were married in the Catholic Church in the chapel on the Navy base in Coronado, CA. My Dad walked me down the aisle and he had his Navy uniform on with all his medals, all his hash stripes in gold going up his arm and Delbert had his Dress Blues on with his one stripe, I think he had a heart attack when he saw my Dad, but oh my gosh he (Delbert) is so hansome in his Dress Blues my heart just started beating..I had my veil over my face through the whole ceremony and when the Priest announced we were married Delbert turned to me took my arm and started down the aisle before lifting my veil and he kissed me at the entrance of the Chapel, he later told me he did not think it was proper to kiss at the Alter, I think he was just nervous and forgot hahaha..anyway, here is the rest of the diary for the 25th.
Dear Diary, Today has been a wonderful day, the wedding and reception turned out really great and there were a lot of pictures taken of us, I hope I can have some. I and my husband received a lot of gifts, there was a elect. frypan, a everwear pot and pan set, a lot of towles, a blanket, 2 bed spreads, 2 sets of silverware, lots of dishes, table settings, a nic nac. We left the reception about 5:30 and came to Oceanside on the greyhound bus for a night in hopes to pick up Delbert's leave papers so we can leave for a honeymoon-went to a show it was pretty good also went out and ate a chinese dinner - I love Delbert very much.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I bet Grandpa did look good in his dress blues! I'm glad you got a proper wedding too. I also hope you got some of those pictures.
Love you.

Maura said...

I remeber when I got married. I was suppose to get my flowers back from Deborah after we kissed. I was so excited I forgot and started walking with out them....she had to carry them out. To this day I coulnd't tell you what the bishop said but it was special and I love to look at all our wedding photoes. :)
I have seen one of your photoes and I think you both look wonderful!!
love ya!